THE MULTI SYSTEMIC THERAPY SERVICE IS A COMMUNITY BASED PROGRAMME WHICH:
- Helps families/whānau manage very challenging behaviour such as truancy, drug use, offending, absconding, anti-social behaviour, criminal offending, self harm, non compliance, school refusal and the impact of a young person’s mental health on family dynamics.
- Helps young people attend school and/or work regularly and get along with their families/whānau and peers.
- Provides support in the home, school, neighbourhood or community.
- Provides a therapist who works with the family/whānau for 5 months (20 weeks), meeting at least 2-3 times per week to ensure rapid progress towards changing behaviours.
- Focuses on family/whānau goals.
- Ensures someone from the team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on call.
- Ensures therapists work in supervised teams and provide coverage for all clients.
MULTI SYSTEMIC THERAPY AIMS TO:
- Improve caregiver parenting practices.
- Enhance family/whānau relations.
- Decrease youth alcohol and substance abuse.
- Improve young persons school, job and training opportunities.
- Engage youth in positive recreational outlets.
- Address offending behaviour, reducing the risk of youth entering the justice system, or reducing their risk of further involvement in the justice system.
- Develop a natural support network to maintain changes.
THE SERVICE WILL:
- Complete a thorough assessment to give a good understanding of why the challenging behaviours are happening and what factors are helping to maintain them.
- Develop plans in collaboration with family/whānau to address these behaviours and work to help ensure long term change.
- Use a strengths based approach to empower the family/whānau to manage behaviour more effectively.
- Support the family/whānau to try different behaviour management strategies.
- Work to ensure that the family/whānau has good supports within their own communities.
- Consult with schools, courses, alternative education or work places.
- Link with any other key agencies involved to ensure all are working towards the same goals.
For further information on Multi Systemic Therapy please visit:
For assistance please contact your nearest Emerge Aotearoa Office, Auckland (09) 265 0255, Wellington (04) 589 9442, Christchurch (03) 371 5599 or send an email.